Monday, January 5, 2009
BLUEBERRY & MASCARPONE TURNOVERS
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
2 tbsp sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh or frozen and thawed blueberries
2 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg, beaten
vegetable oil, for frying
Special equipment : a 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the cheese, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and lemon zest until smooth. Stir in the blueberries.
3. Using a 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut the pie dough into 12 circles. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the edges of the dough with the beaten egg. Place about 1 1/2 tsp of the cheese mixture in the center of the dough. Fold the dough in half to enclose the filling and pinch the edges to seal. Using the tines of fork, gently crimp the sealed edges. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
4. While pastry is chilling: In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour enough oil to fill the pan about a third of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 375 degrees F.
5. Fry the turnovers for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until golden. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with sugar while still hot.
6. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.