Thursday, December 18, 2008
ONION SOUP WITH FONTINA AND THYME
I was preparing this meal yesterday with Salmon in Lemon Brodetto with Pea Puree for dinner. I adopted this recipe from Everday Italian at Food Network TV. I really love this show because every meal that she makes really turn out good and delicious.
I really love Italian foods as well and I also like to try different foods at all kind of restaurants. Anyway....below are the ingredients and method of making this delicious soup.
3 tbsp olive oil
2 large Vidalia/sweet onions, sliced
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
4 cups beef broth
4 slices ciabatta bread, cubed
4 ounces sliced fontina cheese
Special equipment : 4 (1 1/2 cup) ovenproof ramekins
1. In a medium, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the thyme and broth. Simmer, uncovered, until the onions are soft, about 15 minutes.
2. Divide the soup between the 4 ovenproof ramekins on a baking sheet.
3. Divide the cubed bread among the ramekins.
4. Top each with slices of fontina cheese.
5. Place the ramekins under the boiler, until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 4 minutes.
6. Serve immediately.