Monday, December 22, 2008
BUTTER AND JAM THUMBPRINT COOKIES
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter ( 1 1/2 sticks ), softened
1/2 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup raspberry, cherry or strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, whip the butter and the sugar with a hand-held mixer until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla until just combined. Slowly beat in the dry ingredients in 2 additions, mixing just until incorporated.
4. Scoop the dough into 1-inch balls with a cookie or ice-cream scoop and roll in sugar. Place about 2-inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Press a thumbprint into the center of each ball, about 1/2-inch deep. Fill each indentation with about 3/4 tsp jam.
5. Bake cookies until the edges are golden, about 15 minutes.
6. Cool cookies on the baking sheets. Serve.