Yesterday I was so bored and came out with this new recipe of mine.....Nyonya Kuih Lapis. Traditionally this kuih is made in nine-layers - hence the name - by alternating red, green and white layers.
200 g rice flour
100 g tapioca flour
100 g green bean flour
800 ml coconut cream
250 g fine granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pandan paste
some red coloring
1. In a saucepan heat the coconut cream, salt and sugar and let it slightly cool.
2. Meanwhile in a mixing bowl, mixed the rice flour, tapioca flour and green bean flour. Then add the coconut mixture, mix it well and sieve. Put this mixture on a scale then slowly add enough water to make it up to 1800g in total of weight and mix it well.
3. Divide the mixture into 3 equal portions, each weighing about 600g. Add one portion with pandan paste and the other one with red coloring.
4. In a steamer in medium heat, heat the 8" square glass pan for about 5 minutes. Then wipe the glass pan with a paper towel to avoid any water in it.
5. Pour the white portion weight at 200g and steam for at least 5-6 minutes or till the layer is set. Then pour the in the second green layer in the same amount of weight as the white layer, steam it and pour the red color. Continue this method until the nine-layers form.
6. When comes to the last layer (red color), steam the kuih for at least 15-20 minutes to ensure the whole kuih is perfectly cooked through.
7. Cool completely before cutting into your favorite shape. The best way to cut is to use a plastic serrated knife.