I have some leftover cream cheese, lemons and oranges in my fridge and decided to make a chiffon cake for breakfast tomorrow morning.
The chiffon turns out to be soft and fluffy with the tangy taste of the lemon and orange. It sure good with tea or coffee......yummy!!!!
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon and orange juice
4 oz cream cheese ( I used fat free cream cheese )
3 tbsp unsalted butter
6 large egg yolks
1 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine salt
1 orange, zested
1 lemon, zested
6 large egg whites
1 cup fine granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1. Combine ingredients (A) in a double-boiler and cook stirring occasionally until thicken. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
3. Sieved the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl and stir well. Then in a food processor, add in the cooled cheese mixture, egg yolks and flour mixture. Blend it until the mixture is smooth. Pour into a mixing bowl and set aside.
4. In another mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, in high speed whisked the egg whites until foamy. Then add in the sugar and cream of tartar in high speed until stiff peak.
5. Fold the egg white mixture to the cake batter in 3 additions. Pour the cake batter into an ungreased tube pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes.
6. Invert the tube pan immediately on a wire rack to cool completely. Using a sharp knife, carefully go around and under the cake for easy removing the tube pan. Cut the cake into desired sizes and served.