This is one of my favorite kueh where backs in Malaysia, we used to buy them in Pasar Malam or at Petaling Street. They are so flavorful with preserved radish which been sauté until so fragrant.
I make this yesterday for the first time and it turn out to be a perfect one. All my chwee kuih were gone this morning and I'm going to make it again next week =)
150 g rice flour
20 g wheat starch
300 ml water
2 tsp garlic oil
1/2 tsp salt
800 ml water
1. Place the rice flour, wheat starch in a mixing bowl and add the 300 ml of room temperature water. Whisk it while adding the water to the dry ingredients until there are no lumps.
2. In a heavy saucepan, add the 800 ml water, oil and salt. Heat it until just begin to boil. Turn the fire off.
3. Slowly pour in the flour mixture into the boiling water while whisking continuously to prevent lumping. The mixture will turn to be thick to a gluey consistency.
4. Spoon the gluey paste into the chwee kueh molds or muffin pans and steamed in a over boiling water for about 15 minutes.
5. Let it cool completely and remove the chwee kueh from the molds and served it with prepared preserved radish.
Prepared Preserved Radish ( Chai Poh )
200 g vegetable oil
300 g preserved sweet radish, washed and drained
50 g garlic, chopped
30 g dried shrimps, washed and drained
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1. Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan. Sauté the preserved radish, dried shrimps and chopped garlic until fragrant in a medium heat.
2. Add the sugar, salt and dark soy sauce for seasoning. Turn off the heat and add the toasted sesame seeds. Mix it well.